The Interview

Posted by scissortailed , Tuesday, May 4, 2010 6:18 PM

So today was the big interview for my first real job.

Up to this point, my life has been littered with part-time jobs. The closest to a "real job" I have ever come was as a graduate teaching assistant turned instructor at the University of Oklahoma; but I got that position by proxy since I was a graduate student. The last time I interviewed for a job where I actually competed with other applicants was in 2000 when I began working for Information Technology at OU. That was a long time ago now, and it most definitely was not a "real job."

Needless to say, I felt the pressure today. I was exceedingly nervous for no reason at all, since I knew I would be able to answer all questions they may fire at me with confidence and poise.

The interview went as I predicted: A panel of high school science teachers asked me questions (via Skype) about my teaching style, how I would deal with hypothetical classroom situations, how I would help all students excel in the classroom, etc. They all appeared content with my answers, and even let some questions slide since I answered them when elaborating on a different point. No one question truly stumped me, although several made me step outside of my comfortable college box, and revert back to what it was like being in high school. I have a lot to learn.

This time next week I will know whether or not I will have a normal salary for the first time in my life, and the prognosis is good.

2 Response to "The Interview"

johnnyandthemovies Says:

You already have the tools of qualification: education, some prior experience, etc. Basically with a teaching interview it's more about fit than anything. Does your personality match with the round table? Do they think they can work with you? Do you think you could work with them? Really a job interview is as much a you getting to see if you'd like them as much as they are trying to figure that out about you. I am sure with your personality, you should have it in hand because you already are qualified. Good luck with the salary. Once you get it, you'll be addicted...but probably always want more :)

scissortailed Says:

@Johnny - Thanks for the encouragement! The people at the school seem super nice and caring. I have no doubt I would be able to work with them since I adapt easily to new people, environments, and challenges. Good news should come very soon :)

Post a Comment