Where the Wind Comes Sweeping Down the Plain...

Posted by scissortailed , Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:32 AM



As you know, May 10th was quite the day here in Norman, Oklahoma, as well as the rest of the state. But  things become more real for me when I learned a friend lost their home.

Late on May 10th, I received an email confirming what I already suspected was true: Michael and Debby Kaspari lost their home to a tornado that spawned in south eastern Norman.  Michael is a community ecologist and Presidential Professor in the Zoology Department at the University of Oklahoma (where I did my Masters work) and Debby is an extraordinarily talented artist, specializing in tropical sketch work and illustrations.

Debby's studio was in the house's loft, where she could look out over their property while blogging or composing artwork. All of her artist's tools -- paper, watercolors, pastels, and pencils -- as well as original artwork and sketchbooks, were blown away in an EF-2 tornado, as they huddled in the storm shelter with their kitty, Gizmo.
Realizing the significance of her loss is what hit me the hardest as I tried to contemplate the severity of damage they likely endured.

To show her how much we appreciate her art, and that we know how important it is to her, I have organized a studio rebuilding campaign with Norman residents, artist and non-artist friends of mine from Louisville Kentucky, and anyone else around the world wanting to show support. 

Debby mostly draws and sketches, and here is a list of some supplies she uses in her work:
  • Favorite paper: Rives BFK. Other favorite papers include Fabriano Ingres toned paper, Arches cold press 140 lb, and Somerset paper
  • Favorite sketchbook: Moleskine notebooks
  • Favorite pencil: Kohinoor's Triograph 6B
  • Pastels (not sure what brand of pastel -- I'm assuming chalk pastels, but maybe she uses both oil and chalk)
  • Watercolor (not sure of brand)
  • Pen and Ink (These are generally black etchings... maybe with Pigma Micron pens? I think I have seen them laying around the house.)
  • Acrylic paint
For those interested in sending art supplies or monetary donations directly to Norman, you may do so by mailing them to the following address:


Debby Kaspari
c/o Rosemary Knapp
535 S Flood Ave.
Norman, OK 73069


For those interested in donating financially, email me directly at dkasparistudiofund (at) gmail (dot) com for more information.

Any new information about the fundraiser I will post either here or on my Facebook events page.
Thank you for any love and support shown to these amazing people!


Update:
Earlier today (May 12), Debby and Mike were at the house searching through the rubble. They were fortunate to find her banjo and Mike's guitar intact, as well as some artwork. Hopefully there'll be some more good news in the future.

Update:
5/20/2010
I am going to stop donations via the PayPal account on May 22nd to coincide with us mailing any items collected from Louisville, Ky, but if anyone would still like to make a contribution send me a message at dkasparistudiofund (at) gmail (dot) com and I'll tell you where to send it. Thanks for *everyone's* help! ~Lauren

11 Response to "Where the Wind Comes Sweeping Down the Plain..."

Jim Coe Says:

As a good friend of Debby's and a fellow artist, I encourage supporters to wait until there is a way to help out financially, rather than sending replacement art materials directly. Artists of Debby's caliber are appropriately very picky about the type of pencil, pastel, watercolors, and especially brushes. Let her pick them out herself, rather than sending stuff she may not be able to use. I know that is what I would prefer, if I was in her situation.

scissortailed Says:

Thank you, James. Hopefully I will have a bank account set up by the end of the day for donations. I'll post information as soon as I can!

Sally Van Meter Says:

I too will wait and keep an eye out for information on how to help Mike and Debby rebuild and restock her art supplies. I have posted a article on my facebook site, and will post the new info as soon as it becomes available. Thank you for being such good pals to them, they are dear people, survivors of the highest caliber. Sally Van Meter

Mary Says:

Thank you for sharing this.

scissortailed Says:

Thanks Sally! I think we likely will go with a PayPal donation system. I spoke with a bank today, and they needed personal information from the people who would receive the money, and that would ruin the surprise. Hugs!

scissortailed Says:

I just configured a PayPal account for donating to our cause financially. Thank you all!

Sophie Says:

I missed the message about holding off on art supplies and a moleskin notebook and pencils are on their way. I know the pencils are right because the lovely Debby sent me one a while back to encourage me in my return to sketching after decades away. The moleskin? Well, I hope...

Sophie Says:

The donate button isn't working for me.

scissortailed Says:

Sophie: Thank you for telling me the button was not working. I fixed it so it should work now!
Lauren

Post a Comment